Thursday 11 August 2011

Book Review: Stray by Rachel Vincent

Goodreads: "There are only eight breeding female werecats left . . .
And I'm one of them.


Stray (Shifters, #1)


I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds.
Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked.
I'd been warned about Strays -- werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female, and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.
This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back . . . for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever -- and whoever -- I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays -- 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them . . ."

I really loved this book.  It was addictive & full of action, plus had the added bonus of love.  This is the first in the Shifters series, with the next being Rogue.

Faythe is a werecat, I haven't read any other books about them & found all the details amazing.  I hope Rachel didn't have to camp out in Africa to research the big cats & their habits.

Faythe's father is the Alpha of her pride & the head of the council.  Therefore, it is her responsibility to take over being Alpha when her father stands down.  Faythe has other ideas & decided to skip the ranch for greener pastures at College.  Her father has been keeping tabs on her & when she is attacked by a Stray cat, decides to let her father drag her home again.

Once home, she finds out another feline has been attacked & kidnapped.  While Faythe escaped her attacker, her friends weren't so lucky.  They have also found human women being attacked & left mutilated.  Everyone is concerned for Faythe's safety & to make sure she doesn't run away again.

While the others are out searching for the missing girls, Faythe is under house arrest & has 24 hour security.  Among her bodyguards are her ex-boyfriend & second in command, Marc, as well as her childhood friends & brothers.  Marc tries to mark Faythe as his own & Faythe retaliates by biting his leg (while transformed in cat form). Faythe gets frisky with another & Marc attacks him.  Because there are only a few females, all the males are trying for her attention.  Marc still believes Faythe is his & Faythe is trying her hardest to resist.

One of the women is found while the other is still missing.  Everyone is upset & decides alcohol is the cure.  Faythe becomes drunk & sleeps with Marc. The next morning she thinks about escaping & ends up being captured by the Strays.

Faythe is kept with the other feline & they try to work out a plan to escape.  Her kidnappers are revealed & Faythe is betrayed by a familiar cat.  Since Faythe won't cooperate, they attempt to capture another feline.  While gone, Faythe tries to escape.  When the others come find her, they work out a plan to beat the kidnappers to the next target.

This is a full on action read, with love, sex & intrigue.  I absolutely recommend this to everybody & have rated is with 5stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment